Stuffed pumpkin flowers
It's pumpkin season! But did you know that you can also cook with pumpkin flowers? Do you have a vegetable garden? Then don’t throw the flowers away, but pick them when they're open. During a visit to Knidia, an ecological farm on the Datca Peninsula, the owner served us a very simple, but very tasty dish: stuffed pumpkin flowers. After some questioning we uncovered the recipe, although not the precise amounts, because in Turkey they just cook by feel, not with measuring cups. A delicious side dish to definitely try out sometime.
- 1 onion
- ½ chicken stock cube
- 1 large tomato
- 1 green chilli, deseeded
• Bake the uncooked rice together with the chopped onion, thyme, garlic, tomato and pepper in olive oil.
• Have it rest
• Fill a pan with a layer of water and the bouillon cube and make the broth
• Fill the flowers with the uncooked rice and fold them.
• Place the flowers in the broth so they are just below the broth surface, and place them in a position so they can not open.
• Leave the flowers over low heat to simmer in the broth until the rice is cooked. Note that you do not overcook,to prevent the rice becoming mushy and the flowers falling apart.
• Get them out of the pan and serve warm.